Conference college basketball

Hello, sports fans and bookworms alike! We’re here to tackle a question that’s been as hot as a Steph Curry three-pointer: Should collegiate student-athletes be paid? It’s the kind of query that prompts heated discussions at family barbecues and in the corridors of academia alike. It’s like asking if a hot dog is a sandwich. So grab your foam fingers and let’s dive in, shall we?

Team “Yes, Show Me the Money!”

On one side of the arena, you’ve got those who say, “Heck, yes! Pay those athletes!” If you’re in this camp, you play for Team “Yes.” According to a 2021 NCAA study, only about 2% of college athletes become professional athletes. That’s less than the number of people who believe that Elvis is still alive, folks! With such slim odds, advocates argue that athletes should be compensated for their skills and entertainment value while still in college.

Why Might You Choose ‘Yes’

1. Exploitation Factor: These student-athletes bring in billions. Yes, with a ‘B’! The NCAA itself reported a revenue of over $1 billion in the 2018-2019 academic year. Who’s pocketing all that cash? Surely not the athletes sweating it out on the field.
  2. Full-Time Job: Being a student-athlete is akin to having a full-time job. Training, practice sessions, games, travel—oh my! Where’s the time for academics? It’s like trying to juggle while riding a unicycle on a tightrope.
  3. Safety Net: A sports career is as fragile as grandma’s china. One wrong move, and it’s a lifetime of “What could’ve been?” A financial cushion could act as a safety net for these athletes.
  4. Equality Across the Board: Ever heard of the term’ revenue sports’? It means football and men’s basketball, usually. But what about athletes in less popular sports? Equal pay could level the playing field.

Quotable Quotes

• LeBron James once famously stated, “Everyone is doing their job. Are the NCAA [players] doing theirs?” referring to the imbalance between what athletes give and get.
  • Venus Williams said, “College athletes should be paid for the work they do.”

Team “No, Keep the Status Quo!”

Then you’ve got those saying, “Nope, they’re students first, athletes second!” Welcome to Team “No.” The prime directive here is that scholarships and the priceless value of education are compensation enough.

Why Might You Choose ‘No’

1. Slippery Slope: Once you open the Pandora’s box of payment, where does it stop? Do we start paying high school athletes too? Maybe even your toddler for scoring a goal in the living room?
  2. Education is King: The athletes receive scholarships worth tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention the networking opportunities and exposure that could translate into successful careers post-college. It’s like getting paid in life experience.
  3. Logistics and Fairness: How do you decide who gets paid what? Does the star quarterback get the same as the third-string water polo player? Let’s not turn this into a soap opera, shall we?
  4. The Spirit of Amateurism: College sports are about the love of the game, not the size of the paycheck. It’s what separates it from professional leagues.

Quotable Quotes

• Condoleezza Rice, former U.S. Secretary of State and a leader in the reform of NCAA sports, has cautioned, “Higher education has to control its destiny. Money is driving the decisions.”
  • Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist, states, “The best arrangement is simply to maintain the current system but to pay the players a reasonable stipend.”

If you expect a conclusive answer from this article, you’ll be waiting longer than a Cubs fan for a World Series win. But one thing’s for sure: the debate around whether or not collegiate student-athletes should be paid is not going away anytime soon.

So, where do you stand? Are you ready to slap a “Pay Them Now” sticker on your bumper, or are these athletes already hitting the scholarship jackpot? Either way, this topic promises to remain as relevant as a Hail Mary pass in the final seconds of a game. Now, get off the bench and cast your vote!

• Share opinions on topics that matter to you.
  • Learn what others think through comprehensive, real time stats.
  • Your vote is anonymous.
Sign Up. It's free!
Register to vote and to view all content
  • in use
  • taken
    We assume that you want to comment anonymously so we recommend not using your real name for the username.
    • Must be 6 - 20 characters.
    • Allowed characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, underscores, periods and hyphens.
    • Must start with a letter.
  • Password must meet the following requirements:
    • Be at least 8 characters
    • At least one number
    • At least one uppercase letter
    • At least one lowercase letter
  • I agree to Terms of Use and I have read Privacy Policy.
Sign Up

More in Education