Father Daughter Bonding Cozy Parenting

Are you a good teacher?

March 30, 2018
  • Absolutely
  • Somewhat, it depends on my mood, or some other factor(s)
  • Not at all
  • I’m not sure, that’s what schools are for

Have you ever found yourself reenacting that iconic scene from “Dead Poets Society” where Robin Williams stands atop a desk, urging his students to see the world from a different perspective? Or perhaps you’ve channeled your inner Professor Snape, weaving a complex web of knowledge with a stern yet mysterious demeanor. Whichever cinematic teacher you relate to, the question lingers – are you a good teacher?

father is doing math with his daughter

1. Absolutely

A hearty congratulations to those who confidently selected this answer! The realm of teaching isn’t just about relaying information; it’s about making a connection, fostering growth, and inspiring minds. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” And for many, that belief starts with a teacher who said, “You can!”

A survey showed that 70% of students attributed their success in life to a specific teacher who believed in them. So if you’re picking “Absolutely”, you might be that beacon of hope and belief for someone. Remember that scene in “The Pursuit of Happyness” where Will Smith tells his son not to let anyone, not even him, tell him he can’t do something? That’s the kind of inspiration we’re talking about!

mother is teaching her daughter how to cook

2. Somewhat, it depends on my mood, or some other factor(s)

Ever heard the song, “Manic Monday” by The Bangles? Mondays can be tough. Whether it’s the stress of the weekend just gone or the weight of the week ahead, our moods can undoubtedly affect our teaching capabilities. Sometimes you’re Maria from “The Sound of Music”, dancing and singing in the mountains, and other days you’re more like Shrek, wanting everyone to stay out of your swamp.

External factors play a role too. A curious fact: the weather can affect teaching abilities! Research indicates that teachers tend to be more patient and interactive on sunny days, while the gloomy ones might see a drop in energy. Who knew Mother Nature had a role in the classroom?

husband explains something to his wife

3. Not at all

Admitting this might seem like a bitter pill to swallow, but it’s also a sign of self-awareness. After all, not everyone is cut out to be Mr. Miyagi from “Karate Kid”, imparting wisdom while teaching the art of waxing cars. Just as you wouldn’t want the charming but scatter-brained Dory from “Finding Nemo” teaching geography (“Just keep swimming… to… where exactly?”), recognizing your strengths and areas for growth is vital.

It’s also worth noting that teaching, like any other skill, can be developed. If you feel like you’re not quite there yet, workshops, training, and gaining experience can pave the path to becoming the Yoda you were meant to be.

kids in school

4. I’m not sure, that’s what schools are for

Ah, the philosophical ponderers of the group. To you, Socrates might say, “I know that I know nothing.” Understanding the gravity of teaching and the impact it can have is crucial. The very foundations of modern society are built upon education, and schools serve as the epicenter of that process. It’s not just about academic knowledge but life lessons, emotional intelligence, and character-building.

Sometimes, it’s okay to question our abilities and seek external validation. A fun statistic: 85% of teachers have reported feeling more confident in their abilities after receiving constructive feedback from their peers and superiors.

So, as you ponder this question, think about Jack Black in “School of Rock”. He wasn’t sure he was cut out for teaching, but with passion and a dash of rock ‘n’ roll, he managed to turn a class of prim and proper prep school students into a rock band. You might be surprised at what you can achieve when you lean into your strengths and passions.

father is coaching his son's soccer team

In Conclusion

In the grand orchestra of life, being a teacher is like being a maestro. Whether you wield the baton with the enthusiasm of Ms. Frizzle or the poised assurance of Professor X, your role is undeniably pivotal. Remember, it’s not confined to brick-and-mortar classrooms or the official title of ‘teacher’. Every interaction, every shared story, every piece of advice – they’re all opportunities to inspire and influence.

Now, before you sail away on the waves of introspection, take a moment to cast your vote in this poll. Your insights and experiences could offer someone the clarity they seek. The story doesn’t end at casting your vote, though. Dive into the comments section and let us hear your melodious voice. Whether it’s a sonnet about your teaching experiences or a two-line ditty on your favorite educator, your words matter.

Once you’ve shared, don’t forget to view the stats and see where you stand in this ensemble of educators. Just like how every note in a symphony plays a part, every vote and comment helps paint a richer, fuller picture of what teaching truly means in the heartland of the USA.

• Share opinions on topics that matter to you.
  • Learn what others think through comprehensive, real time stats.
  • Your vote is anonymous.
Sign Up. It's free!
Register to vote and to view all content
  • in use
  • taken
    We assume that you want to comment anonymously so we recommend not using your real name for the username.
    • Must be 6 - 20 characters.
    • Allowed characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, underscores, periods and hyphens.
    • Must start with a letter.
  • Password must meet the following requirements:
    • Be at least 8 characters
    • At least one number
    • At least one uppercase letter
    • At least one lowercase letter
  • I agree to Terms of Use and I have read Privacy Policy.
Sign Up

More in Family
beautiful young multiethnic couple
  • Outstanding. We’re like two peas in a pod
  • It’s good, but it could use some improvement
  • We’re incompatible, but we appreciate the differences
  • Incompatible, and it’s only a matter of time before we separate
“Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet to see who they really are.” – Will Ferrell Psychological…